How safe and healthy is the water released from mushrooms during stir-frying?
After I wash mushrooms in salt water, I dry them in a salad spinner. Then I insert the spinned mushrooms into my wok, that's hot with safflower oil. At this point, the wok has no water.
After 3 mins. of medium heat, the mushrooms release water. Is this water sanitary and useful? Safer to pour it down the drain? Or can I use it for stock?
I'm guessing that it's safer to dispose it, because this water probably hails from the growth and cultivation of the mushrooms, and we can't know what quality of water they use. Some of the water may hail from the tap water + salt that I cleaned the mushrooms with.
The following users marked this post as Works for me:
|Chgg Clou||(no comment)||Dec 26, 2021 at 23:30|
As you cook mushrooms, the cellulose cell walls rupture, releasing the cell contents. Most of the weight of a healthy mushroom is water.
(Most of the weight of most unprocessed foods is water; most of your weight is water, too.)
That water was used by the mushrooms to grow. You cannot distinguish its safety from that of the mushrooms: it was literally inside the cell walls of the fungus.
It is tasty, and I often use it to thin down a sauce.
1 comment thread