"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on How do I get darker sourdough without burning it?

How do I get darker sourdough without burning it?

+3
−0

I made my first sourdough bread recently. The friend who gave me the starter also gave me a basic recipe attributed to Ed Wood, which I followed (1 cup fed starter, 3.5 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 cup water). The dough behaved as I expected through the two rises. I baked it on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper at 425 F for 60 minutes. This was in my oven's standard heating mode (called "bake" on the panel), not heat from above ("broil") nor convection (fan). The oven is only a couple years old and as far as I know is working properly and calibrated correctly.

The sourdough loaves I've seen have a nice deep golden-brown crust. Mine... doesn't. I considered whether I should have baked it longer, but the crust was already pretty hard and I was worried about making a brick. But I've never made sourdough before, so that was a guess. While the crust is hard, the inside is soft and has the texture I expected.

What do I need to do to get the richer crust color I expected? Is this only achievable with a dutch oven (which I don't have)? Should I use a loaf pan instead of a sheet? Should I have made a few smaller scores instead of one long one?

Here's a picture of my results:

light-colored loaf

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (2 comments)
General comments
Zerotime‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

It could be a problem with your oven's heating mode. Where I'm from, we have different heating modes like heat from top and bottom or using a fan to circulate hot air. Could you please add additional information about your heating mode if applicable? Did you add water to create a more humid environment in your oven (for example by putting a bowl with water into your oven while baking)?

Monica Cellio‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

@Zerotime I've edited to add that information. My oven has a convection (fan) setting but the recipe didn't say to use it so I didn't. (I don't think I've seen that much for baking.) I did not add a pan of water (hadn't heard of that before).