September 2020 - National Cuisine Challenge: Greece
This is the first of a series of challenges based around the cuisines of a particular country or culture. Our first culinary destination - Greece! (Also, sorry for being a few days late with this - I'll try to get these out on the first of each month moving forward.)
Our destination for September 2020 is Greece.
Lying on the Mediterranean Sea, Greek cuisine is highly varied but emphasizes fresh ingredients along with wheat, legumes, olive, and wine. In this respect it hasn't changed much for thousands of years, as Ancient Greek poets and authors were fond of describing their dinners. You can read more about the cuisine of Ancient Greece on Wikipedia.
Modern cuisine, of course, integrates influences from around Europe and the Near East. You can find a non-exhaustive list of dishes for inspiration at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Greek_dishes.
- Add at least one photo to each answer post
- Add a title with the name of your dish
- More than one answer is allowed
- Do not post your recipe here - use our Recipes category and post a link
- Bonus - let us know if you combined particular dishes to make a meal