Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Comments on Ideas for new cooking challenges

Parent

Ideas for new cooking challenges

+4
−0

The last (and first time) I created a challenge I just wrote something up what I thought to be a good first start. Soon after I posted the challenge, @manassehkatz posted valid comments about unclear conditions regarding the challenge.

So before posting a new one, I thought it may be worthwhile to collect some ideas here on our meta site and see what's received as a good idea and what not. Additionally, we can discuss specifics of a challenge right here - that way, rules follow a consensus so we can concentrate on cooking and baking :)

Please upvote challenge ideas based on what you would like to see and where you are likely to participate. In the original post are some inspirations how a challenge could look like.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−0

Bake a cake without using sugar (and chemical substitutes)

Consuming too much sugar is something that's not really healthy (even though it's most often tasty., especially in cakes..). So let's bake any cake without using sugar!

As substitutes, natural ones are preferred. Chemical ones should / could be excluded, often it's very hard to get them in the right amount or even at all. (Where I live, supermarkets rarely stock chemical sugar substitutes and if only in large quantities.)

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General comments (8 comments)
General comments
Peter Taylor‭ wrote over 3 years ago

There are two big ambiguities here: what counts as a cake, and what counts as using sugar? On the first one, there are sweet (cheesecake) and savoury (oatcake) baked goods which have "cake" in their name but which I wouldn't strictly classify as cakes. On the second one, is the restriction really "no processed sucrose", so that e.g. processed fructose or mashed apple would be allowed as substitutes? What about unprocessed or partially processed sucrose, such as molasses? Glucose? Honey?

Zerotime‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@PeterTaylor As to how to define a cake, I thought about anything that's sweet, has to be baked and needs flour. Cheesecake is more like a tart (but I guess that it could sill count as cake somewhere...) while oatcakes are crackers. For the sugar part, it may be better to put up the condition to not use refined sugars (so nothing that is processed in any way)? This would allow to use fruits and honey as substitutes.

Peter Taylor‭ wrote over 3 years ago

I'm not sure whether you disagree with me on the meaning of oatcakes, crackers, or both, but I think there's a dialectal minefield here :( For me, oatcakes have a soft inside (they're not entirely dissimilar to scones or dumplings) whereas crackers are thin and snap all the way through. Refined isn't quite the same as processed: most honey is processed, but I don't think it's refined. Maybe "no white crystals" would work (although it does allow demerara sugar)?

Sigma‭ wrote over 3 years ago

What if you broadened the challenge to a dessert? That avoids the ambiguity in defining a cake. I would define a dessert as a sweet food eaten as the course concluding a meal.

@PeterTaylor Probably less a dialectal than a translation problem: I didn't know about oatcakes beforehand and translated it into my mother tongue and it came out as something that's related to biscuits / cookies. Recipes in my language show it as something more orientated towards cookies / crackers with a hard inside, hence I wrote it. I like the idea with no white crystals, perhaps extend it for brown crystals as well?

@Sigma Don't you think that broadening the scope to a dessert might make it a bit too broad? I thought about it too but submitted posts might vary a lot making it hard to really compare them (which may also be a no-issue).

Sigma‭ wrote over 3 years ago

That could be a concern but since it's not a contest I'm not sure it would matter. Maybe add a condition that it needs to be baked? That way you get cakes, pies, cookies, tarts, and scones, but a fruit plate won't be included.

@Sigma The condition about baking sounds like a reasonable thing to do.