"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on Is cooking beef and coconut milk together kosher?

Parent

Is cooking beef and coconut milk together kosher?

+4
−0

I have a beef rendang recipe I'd like to bring to a small potluck. However, some of the attendees are Jewish and keep kosher. I know there are some restrictions on cooking milk and meat together, but is it okay to cook beef and coconut milk together?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−0

As noted in another answer, coconut milk (and similar items) are not considered dairy (unless they are made with dairy ingredients added) and are not a problem.

However, there is a supervision problem. This does not mean a Jew has to do the work, just that a Jew has to watch the work being done. While there is a basis for leniency for many types of items (certain basic ingredients but even certain processed foods, depending on the time & place) to be considered kosher without any formal supervision, kosher meat is a huge exception. There are plenty of stories - some real, some likely made up to prove a point - where kosher meat was left unsupervised, but with non-Jews able to access it easily, for just a few minutes and then treated by observant Jews as non-kosher. That is the generally accepted (for thousands of years, not a new thing) Orthodox practice.

That being said, the best thing is to discuss this with the Jewish members of your group to determine what they are comfortable with. The worst thing would be to go through a lot of work and then find they won't eat it, particularly if there is something else you could have made that they would eat.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General comments (2 comments)
General comments
msh210‭ wrote about 3 years ago

"kosher meat was left unsupervised for just a few minutes and then treated… as non-kosher. That is the generally accepted… practice": IINM that's the ספרדי practice, but אשכנזים only bar eating בשר שנמסר ביד גוי, not בשר שנתעלם מן העין.

manassehkatz‭ wrote about 3 years ago

@msh210 You are correct. I should have been clearer about what I meant.